It doesn’t matter if you started in your current job a month or two years ago, you may always need to ask a colleague for help. Such as helping you do something in the system, helping you with an email, calculating something, or generally speaking helping you with a specific task.
In this post, we will give you tips on how to ask for help at work from a colleague or your boss. In addition to the tips, we will also show you some examples of how you can approach your colleague.
How to ask for help at work?
1. The first and most important thing is not to be pushy. This means not pushing your colleague to postpone all his tasks to help you. Ask him to help you when he has time and is free and you will see that he will do it right away.
2. The second important thing is to be polite. Don’t order him around, don’t address him with a tone. You should always be friendly. This way he is much more likely to help you right away and to do it willingly.
3. Make it clear how difficult it is or that you have been struggling for a long time. This shows that you didn’t approach him immediately after you got the task, but tried to figure it out yourself beforehand.
4. After they have helped you, don’t forget to say thank you. That way you leave the door open for when you need help again.
1. Thank you in advance or show that you would greatly appreciate their help;
2. Give more details of what is bothering you;
3. Ask the right person;
1. I’m having difficulty with the new system and would like to ask you when it suits you to take 5 min to explain something to me.
2. I’m lost with this system and I can’t find out how to create a new order. When you have time can you help me?
3. I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this task for a few days but I’m never getting it right, can you help me when you can?
4. I’m getting frustrated because I can’t figure out how to calculate something. I would be very happy if you could help me?
5. I’m totally confused with an email because I can’t figure out what the customer wants. I would really appreciate your help if you could read it and tell me what I need to do?
6. This is the first time I’m doing a report for this client and I’d like you to check it out before I debrief.
Thank you in advance!
7. Would you mind helping me find out how to fix this issue in the system? I’d really appreciate it if you could help me as soon as possible because the client is waiting for me.
8. I think I need some assistance with my computer. I can’t see where I saved one file. Can you please help me?
There’s nothing shameful about asking someone for help. The important thing is that when you do it, you are polite and courteous and don’t order. Try to find the person who would be most helpful to you, otherwise, you will have to waste your time looking for the right person. Explain as best you can what your problem is so it can be resolved as quickly as possible. And most importantly once you have been helped remember to say thank you, for example by telling them ”I truly appreciate your help!” или ”Thank you for your time!”.